Monday, January 5, 2009

Bye, Bye Winter Break!




















Firstly, let me sheepishly admit that I was somewhat dreading the two weeks of winter break! I suppose it's because, for me, once I'm in a routine it's easier not to break it. All I could think of was two weeks with no break from Jackson, no quiet time, always dragging around both kids for chores, etc.

And while all that was true, it didn't take away from the fact that it was a really nice break. For one, I had overlooked the fact that no school meant sleeping in! What a shock when 7am came this morning and my alarm blasted me out of my lovely dream. More importantly, I realized how easy it can be to focus too much on how difficult Jackson can be and not enuogh on how wonderfully sweet and helpful he is. The last two weeks he has: climbed into Andrew's crib every morning to play with him, helped me with Christmas baking and crafts, helped transform the playroom into a scrapbook room/playroom (hey - at least I got half the room!), and many other good deeds.

As Andrew and I went through our day today, there were countless times when I was reminded of Jackson. Dare I say it, I even missed him! One of my resolutions this year is to try to focus on all on Jackson's endlessly fantastic qualities and not let myself get so caught up in the little tantrums. I've even heard suggestions from family members that having a difficult child might just be my payback. (I have no idea what they're talking about!:))

P.S. As I write this I am listening to Jackson explaining something to Drew in the other room - Jackson is truly the BEST big brother!!

5 comments:

heidigoseek said...

i was just reading from an old journal when Marshall was 18 months. He drove me crazy and I wasn't shy about writing it:) They grow up fast. He's my best helper and soooo loyal:)

Your favorite sister said...

Although Ivan has different "issues" than Jackson, sometimes it is really hard for me to see the past the tantrums, and the annoying things he does. I too forget how sweet he can be. He is constantly giving hugs and kisses, loves to cuddle with you, always wants to hold your hand etc.

so don't worry, you are not the only one!

Janice said...

I'm sure I will quickly realize the same thing. Good thoughts though on focusing on the good, I think I will try that with my girls too! You are a great writer!

Little Hensley Fam said...

trust me I know how you feel! They definately grow up and it does get better! I will see you soon! (yes we decided we're moving back)

The Barton Family said...

I feel your pain, I was dreading and now I too am missing Christmas break!